bornitz

Rinse lunch container in employee bathroom sink in California

Hi,

I've tried googling for OSHA and Sanitation rules on this but I'm striking out.

Does anyone know if there are any rules in California regarding rinsing off your lunch dish/container in an employee bathroom sink? Obviously, I'm not talking about trying to jam solid food down the sink drain which could easily cause a plumbing backup. I'm referring to rinsing it off enough to take it home to wash thoroughly. 

Also, the location of the bathroom is a trailer where the plumbing is connected to a septic tank. I mention it in case it matters.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Bonnie

HR saw a bottle of anti-bacterial soap on the sink and posted a sign not to wash anything other than their hands. I haven't worked in an office for over 10 years, so I no longer know about such things. Back in the day, when I finished my lunch, I always went into the bathroom to rinse off my container, but that was a huge corporation in a very large office building and city sewage, not septic.

Thanks,

Bonnie

HR saw a bottle of anti-bacterial soap on the sink and posted a sign not to wash anything other than their hands.

There are no laws (fed or state) that compel the employer to allow you to wash your dishes, if that's what you are looking for.

Bring paper cups, paper plates, plastic utensils - all disposable - problem solved.

Does anyone know if there are any rules in California regarding rinsing off your lunch dish/container in an employee bathroom sink?

Sure.  Lots of people know.  No such rules exist (at least not that are generally applicable).

Of course, that doesn't mean your employer cannot have and enforce such a rule.