troubledmother

troubled mother needs information asap

I have joint legal custody with my childrens father. He does have physical custody. MY father passed away which is the kids maternal grandparent. Their father refuses to let them stay a few extra days to grieve. What are my legal rights or my mothers rights as a grandparent? concerning the children staying with us. they would be missing school.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, the law does not recognize any intrinsic right of visitation for grandparents, even to attend a grandparent's funeral.  Absent explicit wording in the custody order to the contrary, the kids must be returned to Dad at the time and place specified in the visitation schedule, unless both parents agree to make an exception.  It appears that in this case no such exception is in the cards.  That's sad but there it is.  The kids will have to grieve wherever they are.  I'm sorry.

Dear one, I am very sorry about your situation and sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I do have information. Go to website http://drcraigchildressblog.com/2016/03/24/legislative-approach-amending-child-abuse-reporting-laws/ and you will find out more about what is happening to you and your children. In this particular article, my senator is the legislator who is sponsoring a bill and happens to be running for Congress this year. I am glad you are reached out at this time, although your circumstances are unfortunate, because The American Psychological Association (APA) is revisiting what is commonly referred to as "parental alienation" in just a matter of weeks to acknowledge the existence of 'pathogenic parenting', a serious disorder. I am mentioning this because I didn't want you to feel alone with only 'we can't help you' responses. I don't think it was simply by chance I came to this site either. Parental Alienation Awareness Day is April 25 in locations all over the world.Take care of yourself and your children and be informed.   God bless!           

Edited by Findlaw_FN
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. – Moderator

If this link is any indication, this article involves legislative efforts to amend child abuse reporting laws, which has nothing to do with the subject matter of the original post.  Nor does the original post raise any sort of "parental alienation" issue.  The only issue raised by the original post is whether the OP (the non-custodial parent) has a right to extra visitation time and whether the OP's mother has any right to visitation because the OP's father died.