studentkc

Arrest for traffic violation (Need Advice)

I was stopped in the state of Kansas for speeding and no liability insurance (on me at the time, but I did have insurance) and was arrested for 2 unpaid tickets I had out. To be honest, I am a student and had no money to pay them and one of them I had completely forgotten about. I was booked and released on bond. It was my first time and my record is absolutely clear except for a few speeding tickets. How can I reverse my Guilty charge? Or dismiss this or get my case expunged (I don't want to wait 3 years). I am not familiar with my options to get rid of this. What are my options and how can I make this go away? Thanks.

To be honest, I am a student and had no money to pay them

Then you probably need to adjust your driving habits and learn or start following the rules of the road.

I was booked and released on bond.

Who paid for the bond?

How can I reverse my Guilty charge?

This question doesn't make sense as phrased.  There's no such thing as a "[g]uilty charge."  Guilt (or lack thereof) is a finding made after a trial or acceptance of a plea bargain.  If you've been found guilty of a crime, the only way to reverse it is by appealing and convincing the appellate court that the lower court made an error that warrants reversal of the conviction.  You mentioned two prior unpaid tickets, you didn't say how long ago those happened, so we have no way of knowing if there's still time to appeal (and, of course, we have no way of knowing whether you have grounds for any appeal).  If you're talking about the current charges for speeding and lack of insurance, I assume you can beat the lack of insurance charge by showing proof that you were, in fact, insured (although, in some states, not having proof of insurance is a separate charge).  As far as the speeding ticket, we have no way of knowing if there's any realistic possibility of beating it.

Or dismiss this or get my case expunged (I don't want to wait 3 years).

What you "want" or "don't want" isn't the slightest bit relevant.  What the State wants is relevant, and the State wants you to follow the driving laws, which you seem not to care about, so I think there's very little chance of you getting anything dismissed or expunged (other than by the traffic violations falling off your record in the normal course).

What are my options and how can I make this go away?

That you think you can make this stuff simply "go away" is pretty telling.  That said, you obviously can look into whether traffic school is an option for the current speeding charge.

I was stopped in the state of Kansas for speeding and no liability insurance (on me at the time, but I did have insurance). What are my options and how can I make this go away? Thanks.

If you had vaild insurance on that date, but not on you at the time of the traffic stop, then at your next court date bring proof and the no insurance ticket shall be dismissed

I was booked and released on bond. It was my first time and my record is absolutely clear except for a few speeding tickets. How can I reverse my Guilty charge? Or dismiss this or get my case expunged (I don't want to wait 3 years). I am not familiar with my options to get rid of this. What are my options and how can I make this go away? Thanks.

First, as others has already stated: You can only challenge your conviction if you've already been convicted! From the information you provided to us, you havn't been convicted or pled guilty to the speeding tickets yet and therefore it is nothing you can reverse nor expunged. If you would like to challenge the speeding tickets, you should research that state's procedure for challenging speeding tickets.

Second, traffic offenses (such as speeding tickets) are what the law calls "petty offense", and don't carry no jail time unless the charge has been enhanced. From the facts you gave so far, there should not be no enhancment. Traffic offense (such as speeding tickets) don't go on your criminal background, itonly gets reported to the motor vehicle department and placed on your driving record.

The other comments on here are very mean AND ARE NOT VERY HELPFUL, but they are correct about you needing to follow the law! I understand your a student which means you still have alot of learning, but make the right choices. I can tell that you don't want to get into any trouble because your very concern about your record. STAY FOCUS & GOOD LUCK!!!! B)

Thank you for the replies. I do care about the rules of the road and I do my best to abide by the law but I made a mistake, and I am concerned and just want to fix it. I am very sorry I did leave some information out, it is my first time on the forum so I was not sure what information was needed/how this works.

After my bond was posted, I attended court and was found guilty. So I have been convicted.

If I understand correctly, my only option is to appeal this decision?