dogcatone

Common and locked doors

There was no search, but could police have searched my room if they came in to arrest my room mate?
If my room was locked?

When a search is done is a locked door a common place in a apt. ?

Edited by Findlaw_FN

I have few questions that I need to know so I can properly help you out. First, I assume the Police only had an arrest warrant for your room mate and No search, is that correct? Also, was your room mate arrested prior to the officers entering the locked area? Further, did the officers provide any justification for entering the locked area? Once you answer those few questions I will have a better understanding and give you the most accurate information.

No there was no searche. But with my room mate haveing a warrant for his arrest . I would like to know were I stand . Could they search my room if it was locked? Haveing a heads up is ways good.

Here's the heads up.

If the police want to search your locked room, they CAN search it and the best thing you can do is stay out of their way.

If the search is illegal (no search warrant, no probably cause) then evidence of wrongdoing can be suppressed at your trial.

If you are living with low lifes that are subject to periodic police scrutiny, either move elsewhere or make sure that you have NOTHING illegal on your person or in your personal space.

There was no search, but could police have searched my room if they came in to arrest my room mate?

This makes no sense whatsoever.  First you wrote "[t]here was no search" (and you repeated that in your follow up post), but then you ask if a search could have been done.  We obviously know nothing about the situation other than what you tell us, and the first thing you wrote was that "[t]here was no search."  Assuming that's true, then the answer to your question is necessarily no.  However, your question suggests that you aren't actually sure that "[t]here was no search."

If my room was locked?

This sentence isn't complete.

When a search is done is a locked door a common place in a apt. ?

A door is a thing, not a place, and locked apartment doors are extremely common (whether or not police are conducting a search).

But with my room mate haveing a warrant for his arrest . I would like to know were I stand .

We have no idea where you stand.  You haven't told us.

Could they search my room if it was locked?

The cops may search your home if they have a warrant to do so or an exception to the warrant requirement exists.  Whether or not the door to your room within your apartment is looked may or may not matter, but it depends on the specific facts and circumstances, none of which you've told us, presumably because this is simply a hypothetical.  What exactly is it that you're concerned about the police finding in your room?

docatone,

Its a tad bit more complicated than that. It depends on the facts.  For instance if you are present when they attempt to conduct the search, police cannot search your room without your permission, a search warrant or constitutional exception to the warrant requirement.

The FindLaw.com Team