Sign in to follow this  
MAYS24

Flat Fee MLS Law

I purchased a flat fee mls listing through on a website.  They advertise that if you do not sell through buyer agent you can sell free of this charge.  Local agent they referred me to that will post listing says you cannot advertise on another similar site.  Does Kentucky MLS law restrict me from advertising fsbo outside of MLS?

Edited by Findlaw_FN

Contract stipulated what brokerLicensee must do when listing property.  Those are all stipulation on what broker must do and does not restrict me.  

This part is only part that could put restrictions on me, the seller.  "Seller agrees to comply with the rules of the MLS and State of KY regulations."

If there are no rules of MLS or State of Ky regulations that restrict me then the broker's assertion that I cannot advertise outside the MLS is totally false.  Outside of State Law there is nothing in contract forbiding me to advertise.

I think you answered the paragraph above.  Thank You!

There does appear to be a prohibition against duplicate MLS listings. See the KY MLS rule 9 at:

http://ownerlandrealty.com/Northern%20KY%20Office/Listing%20Package/MLS%20Fines-Regulations.pdf

So it's doubtful that an MLS member will make another MLS listing once seeing the property is already listed.

That, of course, doesn't preclude from other methods of advertising the property (Craigslist, newspaper ads, other resources, a FSBO sign in front of the house).

By the way, if you google your property address you may find that the listing is already appearing on several real estate websites.

Years ago, only real estate agents could access MLS listing. Now, with the internet, everybody can.