Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Blogs and Copyright

Guest Guest

I am on several Yahoo! and Google Groups as well as have my own blog. Do I have the right under "fair use" to I take someone's post off one of these private groupsand post it in its entirety on my blog (note: the messages are not publicly accessible) ? Is there a chance I am infringing on their copyright? If I am, how do I avoid getting into trouble? Thanks.

"Do I have the right under "fair use" to I take someone's post off one of these private groupsand post it in its entirety on my blog (note: the messages are not publicly accessible) ?"

There's no good way to address a fair use issue without any context (except to refer you to the myriad information available on the Internet that discusses the four primary factors courts consider when analyzing a fair use issue).

"Is there a chance I am infringing on their copyright?"

There's no question that you are. The question is whether you have a viable fair use defense. Of course, since you're probably not making any money and the copyright owner isn't suffering any actual damages (and certainly hasn't registered the "work"), the worst that could happen would be a suit for an injunction, the cost of which almost certainly would outweigh any benefit.