Mojo76

Tenant wants the locks changed.

My tenant just recently needed a plumber to replace a faucet and thinks the plumber or his helper stolen a pair of earrings.  She had left a key for the plumber to get in.  A week later there was another need for the plumber to go to the residence.  He showed up according to the tenant "wreaking of alcohol".  These accusations came just after I got the quote and asked him to go fix the more recent issue.  She says she wants to be there (understandably) and demands me have the locks changed.

My recent reading says that her renters insurance and a report to the police are the ways to handle the alleged theft.  What of the Demand for the lock change?

She had left a key for the plumber to get in.

Did she get the key back afterwards?

What of the Demand for the lock change?

If you're asking whether you have a legal obligation to pay to change the locks, the answer is no.

I can't fathom why you'd spend time researching this v. just saying "sure, but you pay cost." Yeesh. I'd change locks myself and document that I gave you set, but ...

I also can't believe you googled topic and didn't see reference to MGL chapter 186 sec. 26. Granted, details don't apply here, but I don't see your post saying "this doesn't apply."

If you intend to remain a landlord in MA of all places, you'd best familiarize yourself with not only state laws but local ordinances too.

I also can't believe you googled topic and didn't see reference to MGL chapter 186 sec. 26. Granted, details don't apply here, but I don't see your post saying "this doesn't apply."

Who says the OP googled anything?  The original post didn't say that, and assuming or expecting that folks have done or will do other research before posting here and only post here as a last resort is silly.

Who says the OP googled anything?  The original post didn't say that, and assuming or expecting that folks have done or will do other research before posting here and only post here as a last resort is silly.

When google including the word theft or stolen I never saw a reference to that.  Should I advise her to file a report with the police?  She didn't tell me any of this in a timely manner.  

In looking at my phone records it was over a month ago.