Sign in to follow this  
Raj

Paycheck tax amount

Hi,

I am on H1b & recently transferred to another employer. My previous employer has credited my last paycheck due to miscommunication from Payroll department. They reached for taking that amount back. However they requested me to pay entire amount including taxes & they told me that it will reflect in my W2 form this year. I told them I am not eligible to take salary as my new employer paycheck has been started for the period.

Please suggest what should I do as I am ready to only pay amount that has been credited to my account & not the taxes for which I am not responsible for.

Thanks,
Raj Rayala

Let's see if I understand this. I'm going to make up some amounts for the example. Obviously, your own amounts will be different but you'll get the idea.

You were paid a paycheck by mistake. Let's say the amount was $100 and the employer withheld $20 and sent it to the IRS.

Now the employer wants the $100 back and will show the $20 as part of your withholding when you get your next W-2.

You're right. You won't have to pay tax on that $100 but you'll get the $20 back as part of your tax refund if you've overpaid your tax.

You still have to give your employer back the $100 as I don't think there is a way that the employer can get the $20 back from the IRS once it's already sent.

If there is a way, there's a tax attorney who will be along shortly to explain it but your employer might just not want to bother doing it.

They paid me for 2016 year (Feb 16th to Feb 29th) & they wanted me to pay them back the entire amount including the taxes they put on this paycheck. They mentioned that they can't get tax from IRS & hence they want me to pay back that amount as well.

I guess I just only need to pay them amount excluding Taxes. Please advise.

I guess I just only need to pay them amount excluding Taxes. Please advise.

If it's true that the employer cannot get the money back from the IRS then you pay the full amount back and you get the refund at the end of the year when you file your tax return for 2016.