truthseekergirl

If I buy land and want to build can I do so without permits in Arizona

I was watching a video on this man, who lives in New Mexico and their laws although not practiced, state that a person on their own land is entitled to not only build a home on the land but no permits are needed.  They took him into court and he won quickly.  I want to know how to find out if this is a law for every state or just a few?  Mostly I want to find out if this is a law in Arizona.  I want to buy land and build a cob house.  I just don't know where to look for this law.  Just point me in the right direction or if you know please tell me.  Thank you all in advance for the help. 

You are probably looking for an ordnance, not a law. Housing permits are issued by the city or county. You should determine where you want to live, then search for the relevant local rules. BTW, most building rules are directed toward safety, although some are designed to keep out the riff raff. Your first concern should be whether you "cob house" is safe.

I was watching a video on this man, who lives in New Mexico and their laws although not practiced, state that a person on their own land is entitled to not only build a home on the land but no permits are needed.  They took him into court and he won quickly.  I want to know how to find out if this is a law for every state or just a few?  Mostly I want to find out if this is a law in Arizona.  I want to buy land and build a cob house.  I just don't know where to look for this law.  Just point me in the right direction or if you know please tell me.  Thank you all in advance for the help. 

I have lived in AZ for 40 years and I'm familiar with building and zoning ordinances.

In most places in AZ you can put up a 10 x 10 shed (no utilities) without a permit.

Beyond that, go to your local building and zoning department websites to look up the ordinances.

I was watching a video on this man, who lives in New Mexico and their laws although not practiced, state that a person on their own land is entitled to not only build a home on the land but no permits are needed.

"Their laws"?  You mean the laws of the State of New Mexico?  What laws are those?  Did the video you watched site any actual laws?  If so, what are they?  Or did the man who made the video just say this?  If he just said it, why do you assume it's correct?  I googled "no building permit needed in new mexico," and it was pretty easy to find that it's not correct.

They took him into court and he won quickly.

Another uncorroborated assertion?  You know there are folks all over the Internet who claim that federal income tax is illegal and that, if you challenge it properly, you'll beat the IRS in court.  Just because you see/read something on the Internet doesn't mean it's true.

I want to know how to find out if this is a law for every state or just a few?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question (and, frankly, I doubt you intended it to be a question).  While I've done no research, I find the notion absurd that any state has a law that categorically prohibits counties and cities from requiring building permits.

Mostly I want to find out if this is a law in Arizona.  I want to buy land and build a cob house.  I just don't know where to look for this law.  Just point me in the right direction or if you know please tell me. 

Google "[name of your county] arizona building permit" and find the web site.  If there is no web site, find the address.  Then drive to the department that issues permits and talk to someone about what you want to build.  They'll refer to you the applicable laws.