Mother_in_Egypt

Documentation requirements to proof fraudulent ID&SSN misuse

Hello,

I am trying to proof that my ex husband, who has the same first and (first) middle name like our sons, was using their SSN numbers to sign up and obtain services using the children's SSN. I know the only difference is in the DOB and the second middle name of the still minor children.

My first step will be calling the credit bureaus to obtain their credit history. Is there already something I need to mention or request right upfront during that call (ie. caller requesting the call to be recorded, if not automatically done so, or adding a fraud alert on their accounts etc.) to have later, as well, liable proof of misuse (if proven), that will as well stand up in custody court?

I, personally for my part, have found already numerous proofs that my ex husband did use my SSN and copies of DL, to obtain municipal services under my name AFTER our separation and as well divorce, had opened up bank accounts and committed tax fraud. (all of that has already been reported, documented and filed with authorities). However, I want to make sure the children's future is protected by clearing up their credit history, if he done or might attempt such actions under their name as well, I know the only sure way to protect their names in the future would be a legal name change, but that as well would have to involve family court....and without a strong documentation behind the requested reasons I am not sure if that would be as easy as it sometimes sounds. Hence the questions, what forms of documentation is needed to to make a case, if the findings show misuse of their ID and SSN.

Thanks for anyone reading, pondering and responding.

I seriously doubt that any of the credit bureaus will give you anything on the phone so don't be surprised if they don't.

How old are the children?

If they are minors you might need a subpoena which you might be able to do through your divorce case.

If they are over 18 sit them down in front of a computer and have them get their own credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com

You might even try that even if the are minors and see if it works.

Trouble is, if all the accounts are tied to their SSNs, all you'll see are accounts that may be unfamiliar and you'll have to subpoena those records from those credit accounts, the credit bureaus won't do anything for you.

Hi, and thanks for your very fast response.

I know the Credit Bureaus will surely not provide me with any information via phone, however I will have to explain why I am requesting credit reports for my minor children and want to put a fraud alert onto their records for now.

The children in question are 12 and 14 yrs old.

Why would I have to, as biological parent, and legal possessory custodian, have to subpoena their credit  reports to be released to me?

And even if so, how would that process then work? Heard of the term, but really not familiar with it (as I said, I am just a mother and private person, trying to protect her children).

Thanks again.

I was only considering the possibility that a subpoena might me necessary if the credit bureau denied you access for some reason.

I'm sure that there is some sort of identification process that you would have to submit to.

Here are links to all three credit bureaus to pages that have information on minors' credit. You might find some preliminary answers there that could prepare you for the actual phone contact with the credit bureaus.

http://www.experian.com/credit-advice/topic-minors-credit.html

http://www.transunion.com/fraud-victim-resource/child-identity-theft

https://help.equifax.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/779/noIntercept/1/kw/minor

My first step will be calling the credit bureaus to obtain their credit history. Is there already something I need to mention or request right upfront during that call (ie. caller requesting the call to be recorded, if not automatically done so, or adding a fraud alert on their accounts etc.) to have later, as well, liable proof of misuse (if proven), that will as well stand up in custody court?

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but your sons' credit reports could be admissible in court.

Why would I have to, as biological parent, and legal possessory custodian, have to subpoena their credit  reports to be released to me?

probably not what "adjusterjack" had in mind, but a subpoena may be necessary to have the reports authenticated so that they can be admissible in court.  Explaining the subpoena process is beyond the scope of a message board, but you'll need to have a legal action pending to do it.  Since it appears you're already divorced, it may be that this will happen in the context of a criminal prosecution (I assume you've reported this to the appropriate authorities), in which case the prosecutor will handle the subpoena.

A name change won't keep ex from misusing their ino

fo, so if that's the underlying goal and you think this is a path, I'd discard that idea.

Prosecution might work, however.

I see no reason you can't order a credit report for each kid online, or buy credit freeze service so that he can't mess with credit unless he can "unlock" credit.