Sign in to follow this  
spummerr

Medical Assistance Liens

I am in Minnesota,  I am single and because of my income level I was told I qualify for a Medical Assistance program. No cost to me except some deductibles,  Been on it a few years. I am healthy, rarely need medical help..

I just found out that because I'm on Medical Assistance, the state can file a lien on my  property to get their money back for my use/cost of the Medical Assistance program.

I own my house, and have a Life estate with my brother on my Mothers house, also paid for.

When does the state put the lien on my house?  When I go to sell my house?  How is the lien amount determined?

Will this effect me if I want to move to another state?

I was never told about this when I got Medical insurance. I don't understand how it works.

How do I find out if they placed a lien on my house already?

Thank You

When does the state put the lien on my house?

This is a pretty esoteric issue, and no one who posts here regularly is from Minnesota (as far as I know).  I suggest you review some of these search results:  https://www.google.com/search?q=minnesota+medical+assistance+liens&oq=minnesota+medical+assistance+lien&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57.6943j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

When I go to sell my house?  How is the lien amount determined?

If the state waited until you sold your house, it would be too late.  Presumably, the lien will not state a particular amount and, instead, will require that anyone interested contact the applicable state office to ascertain if anything is owed.

Will this effect me if I want to move to another state?

A lien has nothing to do with your ability move between states.

How do I find out if they placed a lien on my house already?

Visit the county recorder/clerk where real property records are maintained and ask someone to assist you in running a search of your name.

I am concerned how a lien would effect me  if I wanted to sell my house & move to another state. Say I needed hospital care & the bill was $25,000, then a lien placed on my house. for that amount.  I assume a lien in that amount would have to be paid if I sold me house?