Sign in to follow this  
CajunXChange

15th Jdc

What happens when a court district can't provide adequate council for indignant offenders? There are currently only 20 public defenders for 3 counties. Would this be a violation of my constitutional rights if not properly represented on my court date set may 2? I don't have a public defender

He doesn't have a public defender for the same reason the rest of us don't. John Edwards, our new governor, has just cut the budget for the public defenders office. That cut laid off 30 public defenders, leaving our entire district with 22. I had a lawyer for my case, a great lawyer, for almost 3 years. I call him one day and he's no longer my lawyer, I have an unknown lawyer that I'll discover on my next court date. 

By not properly represented, he means exactly that. No way can 22 people handle thousands and thousands of cases effectively. No way will my new lawyer know as much about my case as my old one did. No way. I would need a 3 hour meeting to update a new attorney on the complicated facts of my case that have accumulated in the last 3 years. When he's got 300 cases coming at him a week, how the hell is he going to give me that time? 

Wow...exactly Mr Pilot. It seems as if the prosecution has the only say. Beyond lost at this point. Surely is a travesty in Lafayette, Louisiana. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of innocent folks are locked up because the State can't fulfill their constitutional burden