Sign in to follow this  
nicefella3

WIFI co will not refund for defective router

My ex wife had recently been having intermittent connectivity issues with her wifi.  She was told that if she purchased a router with stronger output that the problem would be solved.  She didnt have the money so she asked me if i would buy it for her and I agreed.  After installation, the problems continued.  She made numerous calls to the company and finally got them to send out a technician.  He replaced a wire and all was well...for about an hour.   Then the issues began again.  Her and I both contacted them, she via phone and I via Facebook messaging.  They blocked me from messaging them and told her to get a computer tech to check her computer system because it was that.  Well, he came out and discovered that the router that i had purchased was defective.  

I contacted the wifi co. via email as instructed and was informed that they did not refund purchases on routers and that they would replace the item if the defective one was returned to them and they determined that it was so.  Shouldnt the wifi tech have informed us of that fact before i purchased the item?  We were not told any such thing,  All we were told is that there was a year warrentee on it.  I would rather have my money back, given that it is not needed.  I have written and sent dispute letter to my credit card co. as well.   Any recommendations?   thank you 

She was told that if she purchased a router with stronger output that the problem would be solved.

Told by whom?

After installation, the problems continued.

Who installed it?

I contacted the wifi co. via email as instructed and was informed that they did not refund purchases on routers and that they would replace the item if the defective one was returned to them and they determined that it was so.  Shouldnt the wifi tech have informed us of that fact before i purchased the item?

What fact?  The company's refund policy?  Did you ask?  Was the policy contained in any documentation you obtained at the time of purchase?

I would rather have my money back, given that it is not needed.  I have written and sent dispute letter to my credit card co. as well.   Any recommendations? 

I don't expect the credit card company will honor your dispute, and, subject to how you answer my questions above, nothing you've posted suggests that you have any entitlement to a refund.

A lot of folks are confused about refunds since so many retailers allow "no questions asked" refunds.  In fact, the default rule is that all sales are final.  Of course, if a product is defective, you're entitled to have the product repaired or replaced (subject to the terms of any warranty or other terms).  However, a refund is only allowed if that is part of the contract for sale, and there's certainly no obligation to bring that to your attention at the time of sale.