Sign in to follow this  
bond

Married to Green Card holder on F1 Student visa

Hi,

I came to US on F1 Student visa and then married to a Green Card holder after 6 months but I was staying with him from day one. I changed my name in my passport as well. My husband is going to file for his citizenship in 8 months.

My question is

Can my husband file adjustment of status along with his citizenship?

Will I be in trouble since I got married after 6 months of arrival to US?

Can I fly outside US to my home country and come back on F1 even after changing my name in passport?

Thanks

I just make a guess, that's my interpretation, perhaps, not necessarily right., i make a quick guess. 

2. I don't think you would be trouble got married after 6 months of arrival to U.S,  since marriage is about union of two people together, and its a process of free will most of time.  Normally there is not interference from power of states. As long as one can prove validity and authenticity of marriage, that shall be fine..

3. To have name changed, one normally change the name in domestic country, where they resides.,  As long as you have legitimate reasons to come to U.S. ,such as student visa, for learning purpose,. one shall have right to stay legitimately and legally for temporary of time, .. For the name change, one shall cautiously provide name change certificate or perhaps some legal document to further prove in case of interrogation.  I guess it's understandable to people nowadays change name for various reasons. .. Therefore, I guess it shall be fine. 

I think officer in custom perhaps just want to scan out people changing name with other type of intent, or other type form of non-legitimate reason or doing.. .

Right now you need to file for a change of status as you are no longer eligible for a non-immigrant visa as you plan to stay here with your husband. He can still apply for citizenship when eligible, as can you.