spummerr

Creating a contract

Hope this is the right forum for my question---

I live in Minnesota. I plan to have some remodeling work done on my home. After I pick a contractor to use, I want to create a contract that states how much they get paid, when payments for services & completion will take place etc etc etc    Total amount of the job around $15,000

My question is when creating a written contract does anything special need to be done to make it a legal binding contract? Besides having it signed etc, like Notarize it, file it with someone or some dept, or something else?

Or Would it be best if  I have a attorney create it instead of myself?  Looking for advice.

Thank You.

Merely having it signed is enought, no need for notarization.  I would have an attorney draft it, but If you do not have an attorney draft it, at least have it reviewed by a real estate attorney

Looking for advice.

If you pick a reputable contractor who is licensed and insured it's likely that the contractor will bring a contract to you.

You are free to modify it to your liking or draft one of your own.

Asking whether you need an attorney to do it implies that you do need an attorney to do it.

After I pick a contractor to use, I want to create a contract that states how much they get paid, when payments for services & completion will take place etc

As a practical matter, you're likely to have a tough time finding a contractor willing to use any contract other than one that he/she/it has created.

My question is when creating a written contract does anything special need to be done to make it a legal binding contract? Besides having it signed etc, like Notarize it, file it with someone or some dept, or something else?

It doesn't need to be filed anywhere or notarized.  As long as the contract includes all material terms of the agreement, it should be enforceable.  However, the laws governing contractors in at least some states impose some very specific requirements for residential construction contracts.  I suggest you peruse some of these search results:  https://www.google.com/search?q=general+contractor+requirements+in+minnesota&oq=contractor+requirements+in+minnes&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.9264j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=what+things+have+to+be+in+a+construction+contract+in+minnesota.

Or Would it be best if  I have a attorney create it instead of myself?

Yes, or just use the contractor's standard form contract.