ScottLawNY

What Assets Are Subject to the Terms of A Will

My grandmother died recently and he will states that all of her property "real and personal" is to be divided three way among her heirs.  One of her checking accounts was jointly held with someone else who took the money from the account. Can we ask for this money to be returned because it was taken out after my grandmother died or was it legal for them to do this because it was joint and not subject to the will?

What Assets Are Subject to the Terms of A Will[?]

Everything owned by the deceased at the time of his/her death and which (1) is not owned in joint tenancy with the right of survivorship, (2) is not owned through a trust, and (3) does not have a pay-on-death beneficiary designation.

One of her checking accounts was jointly held with someone else who took the money from the account. Can we ask for this money to be returned because it was taken out after my grandmother died or was it legal for them to do this because it was joint and not subject to the will?

The latter (unless the account ownership agreement had very unusual terms).