Sign in to follow this  
utahman

When attempting adverse possession how do you pay taxes on the land?

Hello and thank you for your time:

I have been researching adverse possession because I would like to attempt to build a cabin in the woods. I believe this could be possible in Utah, is it? How do you pay the taxes on the land in question?

-Hayden

I have been researching adverse possession because I would like to attempt to build a cabin in the woods. I believe this could be possible in Utah, is it?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  It's certainly possible to acquire title by adverse possession.  If you want to build a cabin on property you don't own, you obviously do so at your own risk since the owner can have you tossed off the property (and probably arrested for trespassing) at any time until you have a judgment of adverse possession from a court.

How do you pay the taxes on the land in question?

I would assume you would go to the office of the county assessor (or whatever the agency is called in Utah) and tell someone, "hi, I want to pay the property taxes on [describe property]," and then hand someone a check for the appropriate amount.