a1handy

Is this Slander and If so what can I do

I offer a service and a customer has decided that I am not paying enough attention to his project. He has begun sending texts and emails in the middle of the night making demands on what I should do.  Last week at 3 AM I received a text telling me that I should expect "round two" and he was ramping up his efforts to make me meet his demands.  Since then  he has begun posting negative statements on his face book page.  Now he is posting negative statements on Craigslist for everyone to see.  He is making statements that such as I am a well known "bad egg" in the community.  He is listing the name and phone number to the county magistrates office encouraging people to file complaints as well.  He is letting it be know in general terms where I live and telling others to help and put me out of business. 

I understand that if what he says is true but he is making the determination of ther truth on his own.  Is there anything I can do about this legally.  So far I have not responded in anyway.

Now he is posting negative statements on Craigslist for everyone to see.

"Everyone"?  The universe of people who are even remotely likely to see a post on Craigslist that isn't an offer to sell a good or service is, at most, really small.

He is listing the name and phone number to the county magistrates office encouraging people to file complaints as well.

Based on a quick google search, it sounds like this is the equivalent of a small claims court.  Do you know how many crackpots on the Internet post stuff encouraging folks to sue companies?  If someone has a valid basis to sue you, I imagine that person will do so or not do so irrespective of what this particular person posts on Craigslist.

Is there anything I can do about this legally.

Nothing you have described is legally actionable.  The subject header of your post mentions slander.  Slander is a verbal statement of fact that is untrue.  If anything, you're dealing with libel (libel and slander are the two forms of defamation).  However, a defamation claim requires a false statement of fact.  Opinions are not legally actionable.  The only statement you have described is that you're a "bad egg," and that is obviously an opinion.  Is there anything else he is posting?

I think he has been very careful about what he says.  Like the previous poster stated the closest thing he has said to be considered libel is that I am well known in the community as a "bad apple". He is posting different things constantly with the heading of his posts saying " update:". He has cost me business and that is what wanted to do.  I hope however, that if this escalates to small claims court, his actions will be detrimental to his case.

Yes,  I can.  Customers who had work scheduled have cancelled due to his posts on Craigslist (they told me so verbally).  One actually came and removed what I was doing for him before I had the opportunity to finish. Also, my landlord is considering evicting me as well as vendors whom I deal with have threatened to stop servicing me due to his statements.  

This person has now escallated this situation to another level.   Today he text me saying he was held up on the interstate and would be there in 15 minutes to view the progress of his car (substantial work had been done since  his last visit)..   I had already been notified by a friend at a nearby restaurant that he was inside taking pictures of my shop.  I went to the shop and politely told  him that he was welcome to come to the shop if he wanted a better view.  He eventually arrived and he did everything in his power to escalate it to a physical confrontation even begging me to hit him.   I did not and after he called me every name he could think of he left.  Several  minutes later a friend called me and told me someone (him)  was standing outside a local Walmant handing out fliers with my picture and details of an arrest over 4 years ago (totally unrelated and subsequently dropped)..  He was stopping patrons and telling them that I was a criminal in the communtiy. a liar, a thief, an amateur and my employees were drug addicts and alcholics. He had over a hundred fliers printed up according to my friend and was stopping patrons of the walmant as they left to tell them to help him put me in jail. What if anything can I do and how.  Thanks