Sign in to follow this  
kingofthehill

Criminal Speeding Ticket & Driving Record

Last year I was pulled over for excessively speeding in the Arizona desert. Much to my surprise, Arizona has very strict traffic laws and I was charged with a misdemeanor for "Excessive Speed" A.R.S. $28-701.02(A)(3). Ultimately I reached a plea agreement with the DA and plead guilty. Perhaps it was naive of me, but I assumed that the charge was criminal and wouldn't affect my driving record. I live in Florida and I am not aware of any 'criminal' traffic tickets, it seems odd to me that I would be penalized by both a criminal misdemeanor and a traffic ticket which is now on my driving record.

My question: Are there any steps I can take to request for the speeding violation to be removed from my driving record?

Some traffic offenses are also characterized as criminal because they allow for incarceration. A misdemeanor is an offense that allows for incarceration for less than one year. The fact that a traffic offense is also a misdemeanor does not mean it is not also a traffic offense.

In your case, you pled guilty to driving more than 85 miles per hour. The punishment is 30 days in jail. That is why it is a criminal and traffic offense.

You didn't think a speeding violation would be reflected on your driving record?   Doesn't matter how it is punished, it was a traffic offense.  DUI's are generally misdemeanors but they go on your driving record too....You can't just get it off your record.