Sign in to follow this  
ridgedrider

utilites included

I have been renting our apartment for one year and a month with utlities included now the landlord is going to charge

utilities is that legal 

It's legal if he's making the change at the expiration of your current lease.

I have been renting our apartment for one year and a month with utlities included now the landlord is going to charge

utilities is that legal

It's legal if you are on month to month and he's doing it at the expiration of your current month.

is there anything I can do about this

Yes, you can find another place to live where you can get a better deal.

Just be aware that you must give proper termination notice as specified in your lease or, if you have no lease, as specified in the landlord tenant statute.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/33/01375.htm&Title=33&DocType=ARS

While I am not familiar with the laws in your State, I do have a few things I am wondering about...

Is the apartment in an apartment complex or is it a converted house?  Are there separate meters for electric, gas and water?  In New Jersey, where I live, there must be separate meters for a landlord to require a tenant to pay for their own utilities.

Is the apartment in an apartment complex or is it a converted house?  Are there separate meters for electric, gas and water?  In New Jersey, where I live, there must be separate meters for a landlord to require a tenant to pay for their own utilities.

Arizona Revised Statute 33-1314.01. Utility charges; submetering; ratio utility billing; allocation; water system exemption

A. A landlord may charge separately for gas, water, wastewater, solid waste removal or electricity by installing a submetering system or by allocating the charges separately through a ratio utility billing system.

The landlord has the option of a submetering system or ratio billing.

Ridgedrider, read the full statute at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/33/01314-01.htm&Title=33&DocType=ARS