Sign in to follow this  
Informed22

Abandoned Lot - HOA use to own, but now dispelled - no owners around to maintain

I bought a lake home and there is a fenced vacant lot with the front open next to me that we have to mow and maintain since July of this year. The HOA is disspelled and no one owns the lot now, it was an old boat lauch. I called the Appraisal district and they have the HOA listed but it is gone and no longer in existance for 20 years. The property taxes have not been paid for over 20 years on the lot. There is people going on the lot at night to sell and buy drugs and there is a nuisance of loud music as well because it backs up to the lake. How do I get help on taking it over so we can get some sleep at night and keep my dog from barking at all hours of the night? The Attorneys for the County, City and School has not filed any lawsuites for the back taxes owned. Help! How can I take it over and make it private and stop all the drug deals at night. Any advice plz....

I bought a lake home and there is a fenced vacant lot with the front open next to me that we have to mow and maintain since July of this year.

Who are "we"?  You and who else?  Why do you "have to mow and maintain" this lot?

The HOA is disspelled

I assume this means an HOA once existed but no longer does.

no one owns the lot now

Nonsense.  Your post indicates that the HOA owns it.  Even if the HOA no longer exists, it still owns the property.

How do I get help on taking it over so we can get some sleep at night and keep my dog from barking at all hours of the night?

As phrased, the answer to this question is that you should hire a local attorney.

The Attorneys for the County, City and School has not filed any lawsuites for the back taxes owned.

That's hardly surprising if the HOA no longer exists (and I can't even conceive why a lawyer for a school might sue over something like this).  It's also not how municipalities collect unpaid property taxes.  At some point, they will foreclose.

How can I take it over and make it private. . . .

It's possible that you could acquire the property by adverse possession, but that would be a very long-term solution.  The only other way would be to buy it.  That would require figuring out who the successor(s) in interest to the HOA are or persuading the city or county (whichever actually collects property taxes) to conduct a tax sale and then bid on the property at the sale.  Figuring out who the successor(s) in interest to the HOA are could be extremely difficult, so I strongly urge you to consult with a local real property attorney.  It might be possible to organize your neighbors and split the cost.