Sign in to follow this  
heaton123

Husband secretly filed for emergency divorce and full custody

Hubby just filed for emergency divorce and full custody of our children.  He was mentally abusive and i wouldn't tell him where i was staying because he would harass me.  I found out he filed by repeatedly keeping in touch with the clerk of court.  He wants me to miss the hearing so he told them i left and he couldn't contact me.  He does have my number.  I have called attorneys but i just can't afford any. What can i do to make sure i don't miss that court date if i am not notified?

Hubby just filed for emergency divorce and full custody of our children.

Courts will sometimes hold "emergency" hearings (where the moving party believes some sort of court order is needed immediately or before the relief sought could be granted through the normal motion procedure).  However, there is no such thing as an "emergency divorce."  I assume what he actually did was file for divorce and seek a custody order on an emergency basis.

What can i do to make sure i don't miss that court date if i am not notified?

If you respond to his divorce petition and/or whatever other papers he has filed, then he'll have an address where he'll be required to serve you with all paperwork (you could rent a P.O. box or private mailbox if you don't want him to know where you're living).  Otherwise, you'll have to monitor the proceedings through the clerk's office.  Note that, if a hearing is held and you have not filed an appearance and only show up at the hearing, the court may decline to hear whatever you might have to say.

Courts will sometimes hold "emergency" hearings (where the moving party believes some sort of court order is needed immediately or before the relief sought could be granted through the normal motion procedure).  However, there is no such thing as an "emergency divorce."  I assume what he actually did was file for divorce and seek a custody order on an emergency basis.

If you respond to his divorce petition and/or whatever other papers he has filed, then he'll have an address where he'll be required to serve you with all paperwork (you could rent a P.O. box or private mailbox if you don't want him to know where you're living).  Otherwise, you'll have to monitor the proceedings through the clerk's office.  Note that, if a hearing is held and you have not filed an appearance and only show up at the hearing, the court may decline to hear whatever you might have to say.

Thanks u have been a great help!!