Sign in to follow this  
bja309

To open or not open your own mail

Recently, a cousin of mine was told by a mail carrier that not opening your own mail, and just throwing it away, was illegal.  He told her you HAVE to open any mail addressed to you.  Is this true?  The reason it came up was because he handed her some mail one day, and she just immediately threw away some junk mail that was addressed to her.  Thanks for any answers for this!  

lol, no.  I have no idea about it, i throw away junk mail all the time without opening it.  I seriously doubt anyone would go through the trash to see if there is unopened mail in there.  She is just worried, and I have no idea whether it is illegal to throw away junk mail without opening it.  It is stupid in my opinion, but she wants to know.  

I think the postman saw the word "gullible" stamped on her forehead and decided to have some fun with her.

As long as we are on the subject of junk mail, I open all of mine and look for postage paid business reply envelopes. I fill the envelopes with all my junk mail, make them good and fat, and send them back to the sender.

Doesn't stop the junk mail but gives me satisfaction knowing that somebody on the other end opens it up and gets junk mail in return.

Imagine if everybody did that. Junk mail would stop overnight.