colliemom2

Locks changed by beneficiary

I am the trustee of my parents Trust and the personal rep. of their Last Wills.. Their house and a small life ins. policy were the only articles transferred to the trust. Personal effects and insurance money has been distributed, only the house remains. My brother changed the locks to gain access. Can he do that legally?

I did, and I filled out a statement with the local police dept. They told me that it really is a civil matter. I can see there point but, the house is owned by the trust not the beneficiaries. It is my responsibility to control and secure the property until it can be sold. Under that scenario, do I have any recourse?

Can he do that legally?

Based on the information you have provided, no.

do I have any recourse?

Recourse for what?  As noted, you could, in theory, sue for the cost of re-keying the locks, but that would be silly.  It would be far simpler to deduct that cost from your brother's share of the eventual distribution from the trust, but you'd be well advised to let him know ahead of time if you intend to do that.