marie5150

Elbow dislocation and break two weeks

Two weeks ago my youngest broke her arm and dislocated it. We want to hospital and we were transfered to the children's hospital becauzs they said she needed surgery to fix the break. They didn't do surgery they did a closed reduction put her in a half cast dent us home. So as told I called scheduled appointment for following week as directed. We go to this appointment Dr says she's OK but concerned. Come back next week see yethe another Dr. This Dr comes in (still no change in break) tells me her break is very extrwme and needs urgent surgery. Well she had surgery yesterday nails screws. The dr told me her nerves been damaged and her hands been contracted she's going to need months to regain use of hand and arm... my question... is this normal protocol because multiple people have told me to talk to a lawyer NOW... you can see in x-rays by the way the radical head is not right at all... please help :(

marie5150,

Thank you for the post.  I can try to point you in the correct direction.  Did the doctor who said she needed urgent surgery say that her condition was worsened by not performing it sooner?  Will she eventually gain full use of the arm or will there be some permanent damage?

The FindLaw.com Team

is this normal protocol

Normal protocol for whom?  For doctors?  No one here is a doctor, so we have no way of knowing whether any sort of malpractice occurred.  You may need to seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Normal protocol meaning they wait so long to do surgery...

This third Dr she saw said if they didn't urgently fix this she'd lose use of he arm and possible bone death. He was very serious about getting her elbow fixed

marie5150,

Thank you for the post.  I can try to point you in the correct direction.  Did the doctor who said she needed urgent surgery say that her condition was worsened by not performing it sooner?  Will she eventually gain full use of the arm or will there be some permanent damage?

The FindLaw.com Team

Let me clarify now that I am on a computer. The Dr last week quoting from his evaluation....  Childs alignment is acceptable at this time. However, it is borderline for surgical intervention  Followup one week with (another dr) for repeat evaluation.

They had taken her ace bandage off and put her in a full cast did not remove her half cast put another cast over it for fear of moving elbow and moving the radical head which technically was broke off and they did not even line it up properly. Very obvious the head was not aligned with the bone I told the dr who preformed surgery I was not happy with x-rays even though I am not trained you can see the bone was not ok.  He told me it was an extreme trauma to her elbow. He put screws and a nail in her arm to fix the break I am extremely mad my child has to go through more pain from this break when they could have fixed it right the first time we were at the hospital. And now nerve damage on top of everything really really makes me curious why nothing was done at initial reduction.

That was kinda my point.  Whether a doctor "wait[ed] [too] long to do surgery" is something that only qualified medical professionals can address and about which they might disagree.

I gathered lawyers who deal with malpractice negligence could address this for me. They have experience in these matters right?

marie5150,

The underlying facts of your situation dictate that you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible.  The fact that the urgency of the situation appears to be treated vastly different by two doctors warrants the consultation.

I have attached some article that you may want to look at for further information:

Medical Malpractice

Medical Malpractice in Depth

You can begin your search for attorney at this link to get started looking.

Please feel free to continue to ask more questions

-The FindLaw.com Team

I gathered lawyers who deal with malpractice negligence could address this for me. They have experience in these matters right?

No.  While there are a few lawyers here and there who are also M.D.s, most lawyers are not doctors, and even the most experienced medmal lawyer need input from an expert before opining about the merits of a case.  Moreover, intelligently assessing the situation you described would require reviewing x-rays and the doctors' notes.  If you confer with a medmal attorney and your description of the case perked his/her attention, the first thing he/she would do would be to arrange for you to obtain the relevant documentation.

Also, getting back to your original question, even if something is not "normal protocol," that doesn't mean malpractice occurred.