We had traveled recently and ended up with Bed Bugs in our home. We sprayed several times over a 2 month period with a Terminating Company. My husband made mention of the problem to someone he works with. A month and a half later this person is now saying they have the bugs and my husband is now on administrative leave until it has been determined what action will be required through HR.  How does this stand legally?

Anyone can acquire bed bugs through any avenue and this is a major retail chain with hundreds of people COMING IN DAILY and products being SHIPPED IN DAILY. I feel this is a coincidence or the other person is using this to some ADVANTAGE.

How does this stand legally?

While the employer's action may be objectively silly, unless your husband is a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with the employer or is a government employee, there's nothing illegal about this.  Sorry.

my husband is now on administrative leave

With or without pay?

If without, he should have filed for unemployment.

How does this stand legally?

It's legal.

And it's an important life less for your husband (and you, if you work). At work you keep your mouth shut about your personal life. Period.

I learned that myself, the hard way, many many years ago.

True, Its legal to put someone on administrative leave while an incident is investigated.

However,you can not prove that someone gave you bed bugs in this retail environment with 400-500 people coming in on daily basis with all the apartment communities in the area as well, this could happen anywhere.

They realized it was wrongful and he was immediately returned to work with pay and the union will be filing a complaint.

But I agree, anytime you confide in people they find a way to use it against you. Best to keep your mouth shut! I didn't need a lesson on that, I asked him why he felt it necessary to tell that to anyone!!

I was angry and felt bad for him at the same time. The humiliation and discrimination he must feel from this incident.

Thanks for the replies, have a good day!