Shadowspawn

Collection Of Short and Long term insurance

99.9% of the time, you can not. I will grant that there might be that odd policy out there which does not prevent double dipping, but that would be rare. You will need to read your policy.

Can I receive my short and Long term insurance while I'm collecting workmans comp?

Disability policies generally have a coordination of benefits provision that helps to prevent fraud and malingering.

So it's unlikely that you can collect the full amounts from both.

Read your policies.

Such policies would be Cadillac-like, and employers in particular don't tend to get those unless there's a very powerful union and strict contract involved.

No average LTD policy will be without an offset to account for virtually any kind of other money coming in related to issue, including SS and workers' comp.  Rather unfortunately, most workers don't ensure they get a copy of policies from plan administrators and they've no clue they're gonna get whacked by insurer until well down the road into benefits when, say, the SSA awards disability retirement.  Happened to my mom many years ago before she died and, once again, she didn't inform me about problems until well after the fact.  :)  She suddenly got a notice from [big four-letter acronym insurance company here about which "60 Minutes" did a huge expose years ago] saying that it'd be recouping X months' worth of past paid benefits going forward to account for Y money from SS as of when it determined she qualified for benefits (whether or not she'd actually qualified as of then).

In 35+ years of administering employer-sponsored benefits, I have yet to see an STD policy that did not expressly exclude workers comp situations. It's barely possible that an LTD policy may not have such an exclusion but even if it does not, it almost certainly would, as someone upthread mentioned, have an offset for any workers comp payments (or any other payments at all).

The answer for your specific situation will be in your specific policy.

×
×