Sign in to follow this  
kuni

Title: Ownership of Boat

Bought boat from friend of a friend I made a written receipt with a promise if I were to sell the boat i would pay the person 1,500 more.  For some reason he couldnt find the title papers and claimed they were lost. Possibly, in the middle of moving to his new place of residence or his Sister had it. Im not sure what the reason maybe to be honest.  Anyway I invested between 1000. to 1500.00 into the boat. i called the dept of boating who told me how I might register the boat.  I need a letter to be sign by a notary from the person I bought it from saying i bought the boat from him stating that i am the new owner of yr/ model / make of boat.  Then i can register with the state of hawaii dept. of boating.

when i txt the person I bought it from the info the state required I have, he told me for another $4000.00 he can give me the title. Note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This person has not reported the boat stolen, the person has not registered the boat from the time he bought it in Aug. 2014. please advise. . . . options. . . .legal or legal yet immorral will b considered thank you

Sincerely, Pist Off

How do you know he owns the boat? Boats, like motor vehicles, belong to the person who is named on the title. If this person owns the boat he should have been able to acquire a duplicate title from the title authority in the relevant state. At the time he signed over the title to you you should have paid him and not before. It is possible, maybe even likely, that you have had an expensive learning experience.

"Bought boat from friend of a friend I made a written receipt with a promise if I were to sell the boat i would pay the person 1,500 more."

Why would you do this unless the purchase price was less than what the boat was worth?  Treat as rhetorical if you like.

Presumably you have more in writing than this.  Did he respond to your text by another text when he "told" you that he wanted more money?  How did you respond to that text?

It's not clear what you expect us to say.  You surely already know you can sue him over the breach in the contract between you.  I'm afraid we can't give you step by step advice.  And no, I'm not going to offer "legal yet immoral" options; you can figure those out yourself.  :)

I'd send him a letter advising that if he doesn't cough up the title, that I'll be suing him for the title or return of dough paid plus money invested.  I'd send via traceable means.

"Bought boat from friend of a friend I made a written receipt with a promise if I were to sell the boat i would pay the person 1,500 more."

Why would you do this unless the purchase price was less than what the boat was worth?  Treat as rhetorical if you like.

Better to treat it as completely irrelevant to the legal issue raised by the post.

To the OP:  What exactly are you asking?  You know you can sue, right?