skeeter77

My ex lost his job and has just stopped paying. Do I have to report this or will this eventually be discovered by the Courts?

So, my ex husband's company closed.  His support payments were being taken directly out of his paycheck.  He basically TOLD me that he lost his job....our daughter graduated (she's going to college in the fall!) and when he does find another job, it won't be nearly as much as he was making before so he shouldn't have to pay.  WHY?  This money was necessary for me to live!  Now I'm not able to pay even household expenses while he's collecting unemployment AND I've heard he's working under the table at home!  PLEASE help! We still have a 15 year old son!

It's not clear whether by "support payments" you mean spousal support or child support, or both.  In any case he is legally obligated to make all payments specified in your divorce decree or support order, on time and in full, unless or until there's another order issued by the same court that modifies or terminates the support payments.  He cannot unilaterally reduce or withhold payments at any time, regardless of the amount or source of his income.

However, it is not the court's job to track and report on your ex's income.  If he misses all or part of any payments, it's up to you to file the appropriate action for enforcement in the same court that issued the current order.  If he is indeed working under the table, you'll also need to produce credible evidence of the fact.  A local family law attorney can explain how New Hampshire's laws apply to your particular circumstances, and advise you of your possible options.  Be sure to ask whether your situation justifies the award of your reasonable attorney's fees to your ex.  Good luck!

Skeeter77,

Thank you for posting.  In addition to what Ted_from_Texas said, here is a site for New Hampshire DHHS, they assist with enforcing child support orders.  If you would like to find an attorney to assist you, you can take a look at this link.

Here are some additional links that you may find helpful:

Enforcement and Collection of Back Child Support

Enforcement of Child Support: FAQ's

If you have any more questions please feel free to continue to ask.

-The Findlaw.com Team