OK_Law

Security Cameras

I bought a new house about 70 days ago.  My neighbor has been coming over, compulsively to complain about the retaining wall between our houses that our homebuilder constructed. He has been taking pictures of my home and property (including my entire back yard).  He told me about pictures he also took while the house was being constructed.

Recently, my children noticed a security camera on his porch in his back yard that is pointing directly into my back yard.  Is there anything that I can do to have the camera pointed away from my back yard?

I intend to plant trees as a buffer; however, trees take time to grow. I hate the thought of my every move in my own back yard being filmed!  If he is providing Surveillance  for the security of his home, his cameras should be facing his home; not into my back yard!

Is there anything that I can do to have the camera pointed away from my back yard?

Sure there is, but I doubt that's what you really intended to ask.  If your intention was to ask whether it's illegal for the neighbor to have a camera on his property that points into your yard, the answer is that it's not.

Do you even know if the camera is real and actually recording anything?

If your intention was to ask whether it's legal for the neighbor to have a camera on his property that points into your yard, the answer is that it's not.

Did you mean to say it's not legal or it's not illegal?

I would that that the neighbor could legally video that which he is able to see without trespassing.

Drat...I fixed it to reflect what I intended, which is same as what you wrote.  Thanks.

OK_Law,

Thank you for the post. There can be a thin difference between a person who is capturing that which is in their public view and that which is private. Invasion of privacy is a legal concept that allows a person to sue for damages regarding an intrusion into seclusion.  What’s secluded versus what is public is a fact sensitive question that you would need to discuss with an attorney.  Here is some preliminary information that can help you evaluate your situation:

Invasion of Privacy

What Is Invasion of Privacy?

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

-The Findlaw.com Team

Thank you for your responses. 

I do not know with absolute certainty that the camera is real or actually on and recording.  Judging from what I already know of the guy, however, I tend to believe that the camera is very real and most certainly recording.  He keeps going from one battle to another. For instance, his battle began with the builder, then moved on to me when I moved in, and is now going back to the builder to try to stop them from building behind our houses because of the slope which, he says, will allow those potential homeowners to see into his house.  Ironic, I know. He was taking a petition around the neighborhood to gather signatures. I said the only petition I would sign was one attesting to his psychosis!

In any event, we have a wood “privacy” fence around our yard, but, because of the slopes, he is able to film right into our back yard.  I have a young daughter who was swimming out back. We have a small pool in the back yard (nothing fancy, just a $15 kiddy pool from Walmart). She was running around in her bathing suit. This was before I knew about the camera (and, of course, I cannot be certain it was on – on that date, however, it was the very next day when my kiddos saw the camera).  If I wanted people seeing my children in their bathing suits, I would have taken them to a public pool!!

Because we do not have a lot of money, it’s not likely I can do more than wait for my trees to grow (and not allow my children out back for swimming).  L

I do not know with absolute certainty that the camera is real or actually on and recording.  Judging from what I already know of the guy, however, I tend to believe that the camera is very real and most certainly recording.

Let's think about it.  Depending on quality and format, an hour of consumer quality video could require anywhere from a few hundred megabytes all the way up to around 20 gigabytes.  If he's recording 24/7, then you're looking at roughly 50 gigabytes to over three terabytes per week.  That's a lot of data.  Consider how much it will cost to store all that data.  There's a 32TB hard drive listed on Amazon for the low, low price of $4,458.75 with free shipping (of course, that doesn't take into account the cost of the other hardware that would be needed).  Do you really think he's going to devote those sorts of monetary resources to whatever you're doing in your backyard?  And that doesn't even take into account how much time it would take to watch any appreciable amount of stored video.  What that means is that, if he is recording (and it could be that it's set up only for live monitoring), it's certainly not 24/7, and he's probably saving no more than a week at a time and then writing over it.

In any event, we have a wood “privacy” fence around our yard, but, because of the slopes, he is able to film right into our back yard.

Subject to local zoning laws, you may be able to put extensions on the fence to increase the height.

have had four negative altercations with my neighbor across the street from me and he came to my front door and assaulted me physically and verbally. I had to call the police on four different occasions as well. I filled a restraining order but it was dismissed as I wasn’t aware of the court date. After filing the restraining order they setup a security camera pointing into my driveway and garage. Is this legal in St. Louis, MO?

×
×