Im14u2c

tenant privacy

I am renting a room in someones home and have occasional visits from family or friends during the day or evening but not any later than 11pm or midnight. I have a separate entrance than the owner. Recently I was told by another renter that the owner had stated he documents info on any vehicle that comes there, such as plate numbers, make & model, ect. And because he is a tow truck driver for the local law enforcement, he is able to run the vehicle info just as the police do.

I don't understand WHY he's wanting to do this as my visitors do not bother or disturb him, do not park illegally or in the driveway. Does he have the right to do this? I feel it's a violation of my privacy as well as my visitors privacy.

Nope. Not a violation of privacy. If you were renting a room in my house I would do the same and probably have a security camera outside as well.

As for running the plates, if he says he's doing it then that should give you reason enough to file a complaint with the Chief of Police or whatever agency regulates towing companies.

Does he have the right to do this? I feel it's a violation of my privacy as well as my visitors privacy.

He certainly has the right to "document[] info on any vehicle that comes there."  Whether he has the right to "run the vehicle info" depends on what exactly that means.  My guess, however, is that he has no "legal right" to do it but also that there is no legal prohibition against it.

I feel it's a violation of my privacy as well as my visitors privacy.

As far as your privacy, this makes no sense at all.  You rent a room in the man's home.  The identities of persons who visit you certainly aren't private, and you have no privacy interest in your visitors' vehicle info.  Whether it violates their privacy interests depends, again, on what exactly "run the vehicle info" means.

I know he has ran them because he's bragged about running the tags on any vehicle parked near the house.

So...you "know" it solely because he's told you he does it?  Do you believe everything everyone tells you?