talcaucasian

Funeral Procession

I recently was driving a vehicle as part of a Funeral Procession.  While on the Parkway, (of which is a Toll Road), when coming to the Toll, I did NOT stop, but; continued driving because I was in the middle of the Funeral Procession.  I do not know if the cars in front of me Stopped or Not.  A few weeks later I got a Ticket in the mail, for Not Stopping To Pay The Toll.  Is that legal?  Should I have Stopped and paid the Toll?  I have Not paid the Ticket and am going to Court to Fight it!   Anybody, have the same problem or ticket?

Thank you,

talcaucasian2014

Out of curiousity, how far were you behind the car immediately before you in the procession.   Were you that far separated from the procession that you couldn't see if the preceding driver stopped to pay the toll?

I assume there are hundreds of "Parkways" in the United States.  It would help if you indicated which one you were referring to.

when coming to the Toll, I did NOT stop, but; continued driving. . . .  A few weeks later I got a Ticket in the mail, for Not Stopping To Pay The Toll.  Is that legal?

Ummm...you admit that you didn't stop or pay the toll.  Why on Earth wouldn't it be legal for you to get a ticket?

I do not know if the cars in front of me Stopped or Not.

That's not much of a "procession" if you were so far behind the car in front of you that you don't know this.

Should I have Stopped and paid the Toll?

I can't imagine why you shouldn't have.  I'm not aware of any law in any state that allows cars in a funeral procession to use toll roads for free and am at a loss to understand why you'd have done this without first having checked to see if it was ok.  Of course, you didn't identify the state where this happened, so there's no way for anyone to check to see if such a law exists in your state.

I . . . am going to Court to Fight it!

On what basis?  Don't you think you ought to figure out whether there's a law that made it ok for you to blow through the toll plaza before you make the decision about fighting the ticket?

Hi tallcaucasian,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear about your ticket.  However, as noted by the other members, if you received a ticket for failing to provide payment for a toll while proceeding through the toll plaza during active hours, it will likely be a uphill battle for you in terms of contesting the ticket notwithstanding the fact that you were in the middle of a funeral procession.  Additionally, it may well be that those in the funeral procession also received tickets.  In any event, even if they did not, since you were not a part of that procession, you would still likely need to pay the toll.

Thanks for stopping by,

The FindLaw.com Team

×
×