noneuno

Ex-intercepted my w2 and filed my taxes

My ex and I have been separated for almost 3 years now. She lives in Missouri in my house and I live in Colorado because of work. We have no children and she hasn't worked for at least 7 years. I sent her money to keep up the mortgage for a while, only to find out she never made 1 house payment and is now delinquent of almost 3 years. She has purchased a new vehicle using my name and credit( just discovered from TU. last year she intercepted my w2s and filed my taxes and had the money direct deposited in her personal account and I never received half or even knew she had done it for quite a while. I let it go because she gave me the boohoo story that was $4800.00. But since that time her boyfriend has taken up residency in my house and now neither of them are making the payments( or she has forged my name off the house somehow). She has intercepted my w2s-again this year and filed them and had the money deposited in her account again and will not answer my calls. I was informed of this after calling every tax office in poplar bluff. Finally got someone at HR block who said that yes she did file them both years and had the money deposited in her account. I got a copy of the tax papers for both years totaling almost $9000.00. What recourse do I have and how do I go about it. I can't access my IRS account on line for some reason, I can't access my mortgage information on line for some reason. My house has been for sale for 2 years which she has removed the sign out front and canceled the real estate office. I'm out of my mind mad about now but want to handle this the right way but don't know the right steps to take..I would appreciate some direction. Thanks.

I suggest you file your own returns with the IRS and report her tax fraud to the IRS using Form 14039, which is the form for reporting identity theft issues to the IRS. Also, get a PO Box that only you can access and have all your mail sent there for now instead of to the home that she's still living in. That way, she cannot open your mail and use your tax documents. Report the identity theft on the loans to the local police in Missouri. Finally, see an attorney in Missouri about getting her and her boyfriend evicted from the house and ensuring she doesn’t  interfere with your efforts to sell it. If you don't take strong action here to confront her criminal activity and her leeching off you she'll continue to take advantage of you.

Hi noneuno,

Sorry to hear about the situation with your ex.  It looks like you have already received a wonderful response from Tax_Counsel with a link to the form for reporting tax fraud!  As Tax-Counsel has suggested, you may want to contact the police and file a report regarding the above instances of identity theft and fraud.  You may also want to contact the credit reporting agencies and file fraud alerts along with filing the fraud form with the IRS.  Lastly, you may also want to begin the eviction process as soon as possible.  Depending upon whether she was a tenant at all (or simply living in your home rent free) you may not need to go through the eviction process but you will need to obtain the help of the local police department.  However, if she in fact removed your name from the deed without your consent, then you will need to prove this fact before you can remove her.  If you require further assistance on these matters, you may want to contact an attorney in your area.  A local attorney can be found in the FindLaw directory.

Additionally, on the issue of identity theft and fraud, you may want to read the following FindLaw articles:

On the issue of eviction, you may also want to read the following FindLaw articles and sections:

Good luck!

The FindLaw.com Team