noneuno

Elderly parents swindled ( nevada)

On the 26 of march, a group of men stopped by my 89 yr old fathers and asked him If he would like his asphalt driveway sealed, he told them he could not afford it. He can't walk and they were remodeling the bathroom of their mobile home to accommodate his disability. They are both retired and on fixed income. One of the guys said to my father " how about we do this little section right in front of the garage so you can see how it looks". My father agreed to that. My mom had to leave for about 30 min. On her way out they told her to sign the warranty doc, she did and left. By the time she got back. The hole road was done and the owner of the company showed up and gave my dad a bill for 187775.00 and demanded a check. My dad wrote the check out of fear. They were never given an estimate or gave them a clearance to do the whole road. This took every dime they had saved for the bathroom and emergencies. I have not contacted this company yet. I need some advise as to what I need to ask them. The paper mom signed did not have any bill or cost on it when she signed it, my dad thought at the most it would be 2 or 3 thousand. I have checked with a couple of online quotes and low end for this job was between 150 and 300 high end is between 500 and 900. Can some one help me. Please

I have no idea why your father would write a check for that kind of money just because someone asked him for one. Was he actually threatened? He was home and apparently didn't say anything when they continued to work on the drive. If Mom didn't read what she signed and agreed to have the work done, I don't see much recourse. You can always try talking to a lawyer who handles contract law, but your odds would have probably been better of prevailing had he not willingly paid.

Er, if you're saying your father wrote a check for $187,000 (or even $18,000) and he didn't call the bank to cancel the check, all I can suggest is calling the local district attorney's office or police for guidance.  (That you'd even go online to check out what X quote might be is mystifying.)

Sounds like you need to have a long, serious chat with your parents about basic consumer information.

Hi noneuno,

Sorry to hear about your parents' situation.  It would appear somewhat unconscionable for your parents to be given a very large bill for what was intended to be a minor job.  You may want to have your parents review the contract carefully to determine if they had in fact agreed to more than they initially believed.  If the check has not yet been cashed, you may want to discuss the possibility of cancellation until you sort out what was agreed to and what should be paid.  Additionally, you may want to contact a contract attorney regarding your parents' situation.  A contract attorney in your area can be located in the FindLaw directory.  Otherwise, there are also a number of legal aid resources are available.

Lastly, you may want to review the following FindLaw sections on contracts:

Good luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

Thank you for answering so quickly. I sent an e- mail to their corporate address explaining what I had been told by my mother. At 8:05 this morning the contractor was at my parents house eager as could be to return to them $4000.00. The neighbor of my parents is contacting Nevada state licensing board as he has heard about this company doing more then just this one time, and have changed their name at least 3 times since. I am in Colorado so it's hard for me to do anything but ask questions. Thank you for taking time to answer.