Sign in to follow this  
lilmelissa54

probation officer lied..

I've been on probation for 9 months, paid everything off and was suppose to be off March 20th. I got a violation in the mail stating I missed a test on the 23rd. When I called my probation officer to talk to her about what was going on she stated that although she told me that I was getting off on the 20th my actual release date wasn't until the 26th.. So why would she tell me the 20th?! So I now have a violation hearing on April 21st and I don't really know what to do about this. When she asked me if I would drop clean I told her I wasn't sure. I thought I was free and in the clear.

Is there some kind of law that makes it illegal for her to lie to me about my release date?

I just need to find some answers, I just want my life and my freedom back!!

Please help!!

It's fairly clear that you haven't even considered the possibility that she simply messed up on telling you a date.  Anything of importance someone told me would be something I'd want to see in writing, esp. where it's a matter of earlier or later than scheduled (I presume you were on probation for a very specific amount of time, and that's something one can check against any calendar).

The comment suggests that you went back to using a substance you ought not be using, so I'd stop using whatever it is.  Preferably you'd talk with counsel before the violation of probation hearing.  If you normally receive X notification that you're expected to show up somewhere (whether it's to submit to a test or whatever else) and you didn't receive it, you can add that detail to the fact that you were mistakenly informed that your probation was up as of the 20th.   

Don't approach it as "she lied to me!" or you'll make it worse. You'd want to ask counsel to ask this person to show up and/or subpoena her to ask her whether you believed that your probation was up as of "the 20th".

Hi lilmelissa54,

Fallen makes a good point about not approaching the situation with such a focus on the parole officer lying to you. And given that you may not pass a drug test, it's likely in your best interests to stop using, and to consult with a criminal defense attorney. You can discuss your situation in more detail with your attorney, and he or she will determine what your next steps should be. You can find Michigan criminal defense attorneys in your area by using FindLaw's lawyer directory.

In the meantime, you may also want to take a look at these helpful FindLaw articles that discuss what happens if you violate probation, as well as what happens in probation revocation hearings. Here are some great articles to get you started:

Good luck!

The FindLaw.com Team