Sign in to follow this  
bcasper704

Down Payment on Vehicle

When i was 16 years old I went to purchase my first vehicle. I put $4000.00 of my own money down as the down payment of a new car. My father signed for the vehicle. After 2 weeks of having my car my dad decided to take the car away from me and i decided to move out into my mothers home. He never gave me back my $4000.00. It is now  7 years later. Am i able to sue him for my money?? I could provide documentation from the bank showing the withdrawl of the $4000.00 (It was my bonds that i cashed in).

You did not identify the state where this occurred.  However, your potential claim against your father would almost certainly be barred by the statute of limitations in your state.   You might try googling "statute of limitations oral contract" and your state's name.

BTW, how would you like it if your father countersued for the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars it cost him to raise you to the age of 16?

Am i able to sue him for my money?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time, but I doubt this is what you really intended to ask.

If you were to sue, you'd have two issues to contend with.  First, a minor's property is typically owned by the minor's parents/legal guardian.  You didn't identify the state where this happened, so we can't know for sure if this would apply to your situation.  You also didn't say in whose name or names the car was titled, and that could make a difference.

The second issue you'd have to contend with is the statute of limitations.  I tend to agree that it's probably way too late, but, again, that depends on the laws of the unidentified state where this happened.  The statute of limitations clock on claims by a minor may not start running until the minor reaches the age of majority, which is 18 in most, but not all, states.  Note that I'm not sure why the person who wrote the prior response thinks the SOL on cases for breach of oral contract would be relevant.  However, if it were, a large number of states have SOLs applicable to such claims that range between 6-10 years.

As my comments above hopefully suggest, it would be helpful if you identified the state where this occurred and told us how the vehicle was originally titled.  It also would be useful to know if your father still has possession of the vehicle and how he has responded to your most recent requests that he return it to you.

BTW, how would you like it if your father countersued for the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars it cost him to raise you to the age of 16?

A rather absurd and pointless question since such a lawsuit wouldn't be viable in any state.