Sign in to follow this  
nomnompie

Excessive Title and Registration processing fee?

Long story short:

I purchased a used car in late November 2014 with the promise of a useful warranty should there be issues to address.  As it turned out, there were issues and the warranty was far less effective than I was promised...  

I went looking through my papers to deal with the warranty issue (in the hopes of having it canceled) and I began to look over the purchase contract more closely and I realized I had paid $3,328 in "title and registration" fees.  

I thought this price was actually the warranty cost when I saw the financed total was a little higher than I thought it should be...  

In my limited research it seemed like the title and registration fees seldom go over $300 in Oregon....  which makes me feel like I was taken advantage of here.  

I had planned to address the warranty issue with the dealership - but this seemed even more pressing and questionable.

Is there any remedy if I have been grossly over-charged for title/registration fees?  Any advice is definitely appreciated.  

Is there any remedy if I have been grossly over-charged for title/registration fees?  

No.

You had the remedy in your hand when the contract was first put in front of you.

It was your pen.

When you read the contract carefully and thoroughly and you don't like or don't understand the terms and conditions you put the pen back in your pocket and you get up and walk out.

It's that simple.

You didn't do that and now you are stuck with the consequences. Lesson learned.

I purchased a used car in late November 2014 with the promise of a useful warranty should there be issues to address.

I don't understand.  Did the seller actually give you a warranty?  Or did you just get "the promise of a . . . warranty"?  If the latter, what exactly does that mean?

Is there any remedy if I have been grossly over-charged for title/registration fees?

No.  You apparently paid exactly what you agreed to pay in the contract.  Why you wouldn't have read the contract before signing it and agreeing to the deal is beyond me.  Had you done so, you could have addressed this up front.

Ditto what others have indicated about signing stuff and evidently not caring about the price.  I'ts unclear why you'd think this line item had to do with the warranty, and it's also unclear whether you purchased a warranty without actually reviewing a warranty document beforehand, but one presumes so). 

As for title and registration fees, I'd have to suggest contacting the state attorney general's office and offices of your legislative representatives for guidance as to what if any complaints or actions you can take about those.  (Unless they have an explanation to account for that little math error and what that figure represents, it smacks of a fraud.  While a dealer routinely adds a fee onto the title and registration government costs for convenience of you not having to do it, I'd say a x10 markup is a little much.) 

To be clear, I was engaging in what you'd call an understatement when I said "a little much."  :)  Pro'ly should've said "smells like fraud to me" (whereas something like that can be a typo, the bottom line is that if the seller knows you're supposed to be paying X and leads or allows a buyer believe $3k is "warranty" in the absence of an individual "warranty" line item, a person has reason to think about fraud and not just irregularity).

I was wondering after paying for a used car.does the dealership have to have the title available at the DMV in 30 days, so I could get the registration in my name.I had tried to pay the registration costs and fees the DMV had told me that the title was not available at the time.went back to the DMV in acouples later and couldn't find it in the system.after them doing some digging,was told that it was in someone else's name,and was unavailable.I had received 3 or 4 invalid registration tickets that I had to payfell back on my payments for the vehicle and they tried to repro it.was wondering if there's any legal action into sueing them for the amount I had to pay towards the tickets?State of Nebraska