Sign in to follow this  
LizzyDelGrant

Minor looking for help...

Hey, so about a year and a half ago, my dad told my mom he wanted a divorce and he lived with my sister at her house and eventually moved away and went to another state. I live in Florida. My mom twisted the story with the court so that the court thought that he technically abandoned me when I was still in contact with my dad at least twice a week. I wanted to live with my dad when the case was brought before the court, at the time, I was 16. I didn't get a choice and didn't get to go to court to tell the judge anything about what I wanted with the custody battle. My mom has been mentally and verbally abusing me since she gained full custody. How do I go about living with my dad, who lives in New York? I'm going to be 17 in a month.

Talk to your dad.  You've not indicated that HE wants you, only that you want to live with him.  If he is willing to man up talk to Children's Services.  Explain all this to them.  It is hard to believe that the court didn't talk to you--our state looks to the child's maturity or age 14 at least.

Hi there,

Your father can try to change the current custody arrangement by filing a petition to modify the custody order with the court. Generally, the court requires there be some significant change in circumstances that merit changing the existing arrangement. I strongly suggest having your father report the abuse to Child Protective Services, and perhaps basing the modification on the abuse. Depending on your state, the court may allow you to testify (or at least speak to the judge on your own) regarding your preference to live with your father.

Ultimately, you and your father would be best served by consulting with a local family law attorney to advise you on the best way to try and make all of this happen. You can find qualified family law attorneys in your area using FindLaw's lawyer directory. It might also help to read up on some general child custody information, as well. Best of luck to you.

My mom twisted the story with the court so that the court thought that he technically abandoned me when I was still in contact with my dad at least twice a week.

Ok...did your father offer evidence to rebut your mother's allegations in this regard?

I wanted to live with my dad when the case was brought before the court, at the time, I was 16. I didn't get a choice

Of course you didn't get a choice.  Children don't get to choose with respect to things like this.  You could have testified as to your preference, but you would not have had the final say.  Also, it sounds like your father dropped the ball here.

How do I go about living with my dad, who lives in New York? I'm going to be 17 in a month.

You either wait until you're an adult or convince your father to seek a change of custody.

at the time, I was 16.

And you're still 16 (for another two months), which tells me all this happened within the last ten months, which mens a custody change probably isn't likely, but feel free to discuss it with your father.