Sign in to follow this  
allinc

Fair Trade Agreement

Can you petition the court to sign a decree for the fair trade agreement. My husband is not agreeable to custody and child support so I cannot divorce. He is not willing to sign the trade agreement and I am trying to buy a house.

What is a "fair trade agreement" in domestic relations cases?  Are you talking about a "settlement agreement?"

Your ability to file for divorce has nothing to do with whether your husband agrees about child custody and support.  Those are usually two of the main issues determined by the court in a divorce case.  The other issues to be decided by the court are spousal support, distribution of property and debt. The court can decide the issues presented during the case or the parties can enter into a settlement agreement.  If the court decides the issues it will enter a decree.

It is usually not a good idea to purchase a house while a divorce case is pending or if a divorce case is immenent.  It just presents another issue to be decided by the court or the parties.

Of course, I am assuming that you have grounds to file a divorce.  The grounds may include separation for a specific period, adultery, incarceration, abuse, fraud, or, in some states, mere incompatibility. 

Can you petition the court to sign a decree for the fair trade agreement.

I'm sure I can, but this question doesn't make much sense.  What do you mean by "the fair trade agreement"?  The term "fair trade agreement" would typically be used to describe an agreement between two countries relating to the import/export of certain goods between the two countries.  I've never heard the term used in the context of a divorce action.  Perhaps the identity of your statement inform this somewhat, but you didn't identify your state.  And, if your intent was to ask whether you can petition to the court to do this, I'm sure you can.  However, determining whether it would be appropriate to do so would require knowing the relevant facts, and you didn't provide any facts in your post.

My husband is not agreeable to custody and child support so I cannot divorce.

I don't know what this means, but your husband's agreement to anything is not required to obtain a divorce.  While most divorce cases do resolve through settlement agreements between the parties, some of them go to trial, and that's what will have to happen if you and your husband cannot agree on certain issues.

I agree that buying a house while a divorce is pending is typically not a good idea.  As far as "grounds" for divorce, all states now have some sort of "no fault" option, although some require extended periods of separation.

Hi there,

Are you talking about a settlement agreement? Even if you and your husband cannot agree on terms of a settlement agreement, you can still get a divorce. Your case will just go to trial, and the court will decide the issues of custody, property division, alimony, etc. for you.

Please feel free to read up on settlement agreements and divorce, in general. I would also suggest you consult a divorce attorney to help protect your legal interests throughout the divorce process. You can find a qualified attorney in your area using FindLaw's lawyer directory.Good luck!

And here I thought fair trade was a social movement for

sustainability and ethics so that the original producer of an

item such as a coffee farmer in a developing nation was

not financially taken advantage of by a large business.