lzuckerm

Legal implications for licensing art from non-US artists?

I am launching a business that will license the right to produce art on canvas. Are there legal implications to licensing art from foreign (non-US) artists? I plan to have a basic template contract that will give me non-exclusive rights to reproduce select pieces of art for a limited time period. Can I just use the same contract for artists based outside of the US? Can I just issue payment to them via paypal or do I need to "import" in some way despite the fact that there is no physical product?

Thank you!

Are there legal implications to licensing art from foreign (non-US) artists?

Not sure what you're getting at.  "Legal implications" exist any time you license intellectual property -- regardless of the nationality of the licensor.  Ultimately, those "legal implications" are determined by the terms of the license and the laws of the country or countries where the licensee exploits the licensed works.  It's certainly possible that non-U.S. licensors might insist on certain terms that the average U.S.-based licensor might not insist on.  Hopefully that answers your question.  If not, please clarify what you're asking.

I plan to have a basic template contract that will give me non-exclusive rights to reproduce select pieces of art for a limited time period. Can I just use the same contract for artists based outside of the US?

Your ability to use a particular form of contract obviously depends on the willingness of the other side to accept it.  You certainly can propose to use whatever form of contract you like.  Needless to say, folks on a message board aren't in any position to assess the propriety of a particular contract form without reading it and knowing all of the relevant facts.

Can I just issue payment to them via paypal or do I need to "import" in some way despite the fact that there is no physical product?

It seems there are two very different questions here.  If you want to pay your licensors by PayPal, you're free to propose that and see if the licensors will agree.  Of course, you should thorougly review PayPal's terms of service to see if there's anything relevant where the payee is outside the U.S.  Additionally, depending on the antcipated volume of your business, you should become familiar with federal laws relating to the transfer of large sums of money outside the U.S.

As far as "importing," I'm really not sure what you're asking.  You say "there is no physical product," but you said you're going to "produce art on canvas."  Isn't that a "physical product"?  Of course, you wouldn't "import" your own product, so I'm not really sure what you're asking.

I strongly encourage you to consult with an attorney who has some experience advising licensees of intellectual property.

These are definitely questions that should be posed to an attorney within the confines of an attorney/client relationship. You don't want to be discussing sensitive and proprietary information inadvertently online.

Depending on your state, you may want to use a referral from a friend or family member, or consult a directory of attorneys focusing on IP, business and/or contract law.