Sign in to follow this  
Prophecygirl

Unfit mother trying to regain custody!

My boyfriend is currently the primary parent of his 8 year old daughter. The mother lost custody after a man was shot to death in her home and she admitted that she couldn't pass a drug test. The mother can't hold down a job for more than a few months at a time and lives with her mother where her daughter doesn't have a bedroom and has to sleep with her grandmother. They also have a 17 year old boy living with them who is of no relation to them. She is attempting to regain custody of their daughter. 

My boyfriend is a truck driver. He is gone one extra night a week than he was when he was awarded custody the first time. They are trying to say that she shouldn't live with him because he works more. They are also planning on attacking me. They plan to lie to try and make me seem unfit to look after her while he is gone. I have text messages where the mother has admitted how much her daughter likes me and has fun with me. Yet, I still have a lot of anxiety. I love her like she is my own. 

Is there any chance that this woman could gain custody?

You fail to mention a state, but regardless, if the facts are as you report, it would seem to be unlikely.  The child's dad and you must assess your situation to determine if anything might come up that would negate continued custody.  Speak with an attorney or call legal aid. 

They are trying to say that she shouldn't live with him because he works more.

First of all, who are "they"?  Second, what does "trying to say" mean.  Has the mother actually filed papers with the court?  If so, is this the claim made in those papers?  If so, then she isn't just "trying to say" this; she has said it.

They are also planning on attacking me. They plan to lie

How exactly do you purport to know what "they" plan to do?

Is there any chance that this woman could gain custody?

In the abstract, virtually anything is possible.  You're obviously biased, so there's no way to assess this based solely on your post.  If this is nothing but a bunch of hot air coming from the mother, then your boyfriend is probably best advised to ignore it.  If, on the other hand, the mother has filed something with the court, then your boyfriend should be seeking advice from a local family law attorney.

Hi there,

Given the situation as you have described, the mother probably won't be regaining custody in the near future. However, it's probably in your boyfriend's best interests to consult with a family law attorney to discuss the case in more detail. He can find a qualified family law attorney in his area through FindLaw's lawyer directory. Best of luck to you all!