Sign in to follow this  
Williams1

How to stop HOA from harrasing my resident?

I am a property manager and have a unit leased in a development with about 15 units.  The HOA does not seem to like the residents and have done some things that seem to be harrasment.  They watch the electrical meter on the unit and dertermined that it spinned to fast, so there must be a pot growing operation going on inthe unit.  I inspected and no issue found.  But they called the fire department who also inspected the unt and made a comment that the caller suspected a grow operation.  The HOA members take pictures of the residents trash, watch every move they make and yesterday 6 policemen show up wanting to inspect the home because they had a call that there might be a grow operation going on.  Of course the resident let them in and nothing was found.

I have given my notice to the owner because I feel that this is harrasment, and violation of Fair Housing and can not manage a property where this continues to go on. The owner lives in Canada, and has not been suportive solving this issue.  Thoughts??

I feel that this is harrasment

I don't know what you mean by this.  You didn't identify the state where the property is located, so no one here will be able to tell you if there is a "harassment" law that might apply.  In any event, even if there is such a law, you're not the one being harassed.  If the tenants are so inclined, they may pursue whatever legal remedies they want.

and violation of Fair Housing

I also don't know what this means.  Are you talking about some sort of "fair housing" law?  If so, which one?

I have given my notice to the owner because I . . . can not manage a property where this continues to go on.

Ok.  Assuming your contract with the owner allows for termination under these circumstances, you're certainly free to do this.

Not really sure what sort of response you were expecting or seeking beyond the above.

I gather something in your contract with the owner prohibited you from sending a polite nasty note to the HOA about a meeting and advising that it could be setting itself up for a possibly expensive lawsuit by the tenants? 

We can't know what the landlord's in a position to do about this based on no info, but the tenants are certainly in a position to make their ire known.