Sign in to follow this  
marie5150

15 day notices

I am curious...  Are these even legal? I was a couple days late on rent paid in full plus the 20$ a day late fees on a 600$ a month rental 1 yr lease. He had put a notice on our door to vacate in 15 days ..... no reason just to leave.

He tries to scare the tenants here all the time calling the police on the kids and threatening to evict people with his 15 day notices. He told a little boy today who was hanging out with friends to go back to his country. He told another tenant to pay late fees when they weren't even late they  asked for a copy of the lease and he gave them a copy that wasnt even signed by them. The apartments have mold and mildew, Have holes in the carpets he said he was gonna fix. 

I want to know if we have any rights on him fixing mold issues and holes in the carpets. He is a complete slum lord by all means. I wish I woulda known this before moving in buy now I am stuck till next yr because of our lease agreement. 

Thanks for the help if you have any. 

383.660 of the KY landlord tenant statute addresses the 15 day thing and requires that the landlord specify (in written notice) the acts and omissions constituting a material non-compliance.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=35749

You can read all of the landlord tenant statutes at:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/chapter.aspx?id=39159

You have remedies available for habitability, health and safety defects, and statutory non-compliance by the landlord. But if you just rented a crappy place from a crappy landlord, you are probably just stuck till expiration.

Makes sure you study your lease and the statutes so you know your rights and obligations and what's necessary for when you want to move out at expiration.

As for the tenant that had to ask for a copy of the lease, sorry, but I have no sympathy for fools who don't get copies of stuff that they sign when they sign it.

Hi marie5150,

You can learn more about the habitability issue mentioned by adjusterjack in this article covering the implied warranty of habitability, which is basically an obligation on the part of the landlord to provide a home that is "suitable" for living. So your landlord is required to meet some basic requirements -- like providing for running water and heat. Depending on the severity of the problems in your apartment, you may or may not be able to have a court require your landlord to make repairs (read more in FindLaw's section on repairs and maintenance). Good luck!