Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas29

Employed in TN for FLA company

"Can I be employed and work in the state of TN by a company incorported in FLA?"

The "can" part of the question is messing me up.  Obviously, you can be employed by and work at a company that does business in TN that was incorporated in Africa. 

"What steps should the FLA employer take in TN for licensing, etc."

You need to be a little more clear about what it is you really want to know.  What kind of "licensing" and what do you mean by "etc."?  If you work at this company, what is the concern? 

Can I be employed and work in the state of TN by a company incorported in FLA?

If you intended to ask whether it's legal, the answer is yes.  Did you really think it might not be (esp. given that a signficant number of large corporations -- e.g., Microsoft -- are incorporated in Delaware and employee the majority of their employees elsewhere)?

What steps should the FLA employer take in TN for licensing, etc.

The employer should consult with a business attorney in Tennessee.  Since you told us nothing at all about the corporation or what the employee will be doing in TN, all anyone here can tell you is that it might be necessary for the corporation to register as a foreign corporation and obtain a state tax ID number from the appropriate agency in TN.

If you intended to ask whether it's legal, the answer is yes.  Did you really think it might not be (esp. given that a signficant number of large corporations -- e.g., Microsoft -- are incorporated in Delaware and employee the majority of their employees elsewhere)?

A number of publicly traded corporations are incorporated in Delaware, but interestingly enough, Microsoft is not one of them. It is incorporated in Washington state. You can see its current articles of incorporation on its website:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/CorporateGovernance/PoliciesAndGuidelines/articlesincorp.aspx

A number of publicly traded corporations are incorporated in Delaware, but interestingly enough, Microsoft is not one of them. It is incorporated in Washington state. You can see its current articles of incorporation on its website:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/CorporateGovernance/PoliciesAndGuidelines/articlesincorp.aspx

Indeed.  According to the web site, the company was incorporated in WA in June 1981, "reincorporated" in DE in Sept. 1986, and then "reincorporated" again in WA in Nov. 1993.  I believe what I looked at when I quickly searched was a federal appellate opinion in which the company was named as a "Delaware corporation."