Sign in to follow this  
alevinemi

How to mark a photo with creative commons license

I am considering distributing photos of sculpture under creative commons licenses.

The original sculptures are all tagged L***** ©20xx, all rights reserved as is standard.  Previously, all photos had been tagged this way as well.

If I understand correctly, that tagging gives some legal advantages and improves the odds of being able to enforce the copyright and/or collect legal fees when you enforce the copyright.

If I distribute photos under creative commons, I can't tag them all rights reserved, because they aren't all reserved - some are being given away.  However, I still want the same legal advantages you get from "all rights reserved" vs. having no tag on the work if  someone violates the license, either by using it commercially or claiming it as their own work.

What do I write on the work?  Some ideas:

©201x L*******, Some Rights Reserved (in short, make them ask...)

This photograph is licensed by L****** under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike International license. (and optionally) The original work is ©L*****, all rights reserved [a bit wordy, want something shorter...]

The creative commons logo for the license being used.

Edited by Findlaw_JN
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. - Moderator

Hello,

First I would recommend you not use personal identifiably information in your post.

To answer your question, you are right that the tagging gives some protection with respect to notice and claim. This is also considered best practice from a business sense. However, there are some other strategies that can be implemented which are more in depth and outside the scope of your question. This would require spending time understanding things such as the companies, privacy policies, terms and conditions and business purpose, among other things.

You should seek competent counsel in order to ensure that you are adequately protected.

Thanks and good luck.

Hi there,

Like IP_Counsel said, to protect your privacy, please refrain from posting personal information on the forums. With regards to protecting your legal and business interests, I would strongly suggest you consult a local attorney to discuss your case in more detail. Best of luck!