Sign in to follow this  
victoria3859

can car dealer charge me with unarth. use of movabale

I bought a car from G**** in laf. LA. Put 2500 dollars down completed all paper work and 2 months later before first note I was arrested and they stated that I went test drive it and never brought it back can they do that after I signed all paper work and sells men signed and they took my money

Edited by Findlaw_JN
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. - Moderator

Well, they HAVE done it, but it sounds like you've got a decent case for malicious prosecution*, among other things.  While it's too bad that you didn't ensure you got copies of what you signed, I presume you have some kind of receipt or canceled check for the money down.  Never mind I think they'll kinda have a problem explaining why they'd wait two months (v. hours) to report that you took it for a test drive and didn't bring it back.  :)

Seek counsel.

*depending on how the charges were initiated (it may be in LA that they can go before a magistrate and file a complaint themselves)

I bought a car from G**** in laf. LA. Put 2500 dollars down completed all paper work and 2 months later before first note I was arrested and they stated that I went test drive it and never brought it back can they do that after I signed all paper work and sells men signed and they took my money

Where was all your paperwork when the cops came to arrest you?

And does this have anything to do with yesterday's question about forgery?

http://boards.answers.findlaw.com/index.php/topic/232125-forgery/#entry563707

What do you have against punctuation?  Nevertheless, it seems like there is much more to this story than you provided.  

If not, then this should be relatively easy to clear up.  Provide your receipt, canceled check, credit/debit card statement, etc. that shows the deposit was paid in full.  You should also have financing documents that you can provide.  

Additionally, to answer the question posed in the title of this post: the answer is no.  The car dealer can not charge you with anything.  Only the state can charge you with a crime.