Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

failure to appear

Recommended Posts

Up to 1 1/2 years in prison in addition to the sentence for what you failed to appear for.



13-2507. Failure to appear in the first degree; classification

A. A person commits failure to appear in the first degree if, having been required by law to appear in connection with any felony, such person knowingly fails to appear as required, regardless of the disposition of the charge requiring the appearance.

B. Failure to appear in the first degree is a class 5 felony.


Failure to Appear First Degree (ARS 13-2507)

Failure to appear in the first degree is when you miss a required court date to answer to felony charges. If you missed this court date you will face this additional Class 5 felony charge.


This additional felony charge has a potential sentence of up to 1 ½ years in prison. This is a serious charge to have added to your already existing legal problems.

Share this post

Link to post

Just call the court and reschedule or even better yet show up to the court early in the morning and ask if you can be put on that day's docket.   Believe me you'll be doing yourself a favor by doing this unless you intend to stay on the run and never turn yourself in. 


If you show up in the next day or two at the court and tell them you missed your date yesterday but you are hoping they can schedule you in for that day,  they will not charge you with the failure to appear, and it will also make an insanely good impression on them you will most likely get a much lighter sentence.   You can turn your missed court date to your advantage.  

Share this post

Link to post

Hi harleychico,


Unfortunately, I can't agree that missing your court date was to your advantage -- or can be made in any way into an advantage. At this point, your focus should be on mitigating the damage already done. The court does not look favorably on missed appearances. Since you failed to appear, you likely have a bench warrant out for your arrest. I'd suggest contacting your lawyer ASAP. If you do not have one, find a criminal defense lawyer through FindLaw's lawyer directory.

Share this post

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Create New...