Sign in to follow this  
masterkeymaster

murder suicide in the work place

When there is a murder suicide in the work place what is there to be done especially in the legal department when both parties are deceased. On the criminal side you can't charge any body. What about civil? What if your questioned by authorities do you have to participate in their questions regardless of involvement?

When there is a murder suicide in the work place what is there to be done especially in the legal department when both parties are deceased.

This is a ridiculously broad and vague question (which is made all the worse by your use of the passive voice).  What is there to be done by whom?  As far as the employer's legal department (something that a majority of employers don't have), one assumes that persons in that department would conduct an investigation.

On the criminal side you can't charge any body.

Well...I don't know who "you" is supposed to be in this question.  Only the local district attorney/prosecutor can file criminal charges.  You seem to be assuming that no living person has potential criminal liability in a murder/suicide situation.  While that might be true in some cases, I could think of numerous circumstances in which it wouldn't be true.

What about civil?

What about it?

What if your questioned by authorities do you have to participate in their questions regardless of involvement?

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/youre_your.htm

I don't know what "authorities" you're talking about, but no one is legally obligated to talk with the police.

You will get much better responses if you clarify the scenario about which you're concerned and ask questions that are more clear.

When there is a murder suicide in the work place what is there to be done especially in the legal department when both parties are deceased. 

Are you asking how a legal department handles a murder-suicide in the work place?  The legal department that I work in wouldn't be involved in handling such an incident.  It's a matter to be handled almost exclusively by law enforcement.

On the criminal side you can't charge any body. What about civil? 

Not sure that I agree that no one could be charged.  What about civil?  Are you asking if any party has any civil liability in such a case?  That will depend on the facts which you didn't provide.

What if your questioned by authorities do you have to participate in their questions regardless of involvement?

No one is required to answer questions asked by the police.  

The details matter a great deal, and you’ve provided none here. Generally speaking, the business wouldn’t do any sort of investigation of the murder/sucide itself. That is what law enforcement would do. Absent some facts indicating negligence on the part of the employer it would have no civil liability to the the estate or relatives of the murdered person. If the employer was sued, however, of course it would need to retain a lawyer to defend against the claim.

Unless served with a summons or subpoena, a person is generally not required to answer the questions of law enforcement. Whether it is a good idea to do so depends on the exact circumstances. 

There is not enough information provided to properly answer

the original poster. For example, were those involved co-employees

or did it involve an employee and the employee's significant other

(who was not an employee) or spouse or ex-spouse (who was

not an employee)?  Was there a protective order in existence?

If there was a protective order, did the employer know about it?

I would recommend to the employer to evaluate what security

and other steps could have been taken in advance by the

employer to minimize the possibility of such a re-occurence.