Sign in to follow this  
sunflwr2

Lease Dispute

My lease states that I must pay the bill for my alarm system, we do not want the alarm nor do we feel it is necessary and it is an added expense we do not wish to pay for. My landlord states that the lease says we must maintain the alarm and pay the bill for as long as we are in the home and failing to do so will violate our lease at which time he will take the necessary action against us. We have read the lease and it only says we must pay the bill, not maintain the alarm, it says we must pay the bill for the gas and electric, cable, phone, internet, water and alarm. If I wish to cancel my cable service I am completely within my right to do so and we don't even have phone service in the home, we use our cell phones. So with the wording as it stands should we be allowed to cancel the alarm without further action from our landlord?

"... we do not want the alarm nor do we feel it is necessary and it is an added expense we do not wish to pay for."

Then you shouldn't have signed a lease that indicated you'd pay for the alarm service. 

"We have read the lease and it only says we must pay the bill, not maintain the alarm..."

You're free to explain to a court that you feel the alarm service is like your cable service and you're free to cancel it, and that the lack of the word "maintain" means you're free to cancel the service.  I also wouldn't interpret the landlord's wanting to be clear about who is responsible for paying what to avoid a tenant who might argue that the landlord's responsible for X-Y-Z too as a license to quibble about this.

"So with the wording as it stands should we be allowed to cancel the alarm without further action from our landlord?"

I can't imagine why the opinion of strangers would be impactful to you or, more importantly, your landlord.

We have read the lease and it only says we must pay the bill, not maintain the alarm, it says we must pay the bill for the gas and electric, cable, phone, internet, water and alarm.

Does it really "say" that or are you just giving your interpretation?

Quote that section word for word and you might get some helpful comments.

So with the wording as it stands should we be allowed to cancel the alarm without further action from our landlord?

Impossible to answer this intelligently since we are not privy to "the wording as it stands."  In other words, if you want someone to interpret your lease, you'll need to quote it, not just tell us your interpretation.