trina0804

Involved in 5 car wreck

I was involved in a 5 car wreck, I was at a red light and a car hit me from behind were I hit the car in front of me and that car hit another chain reaction. Out of the 5 cars only 3 cars were damaged/ no injuries of anyone. Filed a claim with the person who is at fault insurance and went to there place of where they do the preliminary estimate. I placed a call to the insurance company to find out what the next step is in getting my vehicle fixed. The lady stated to me that it will be a lengthy process because there were 5 cars involved and they still have not gotten the police report and because it was 5 cars involved it will go over the insurance plan so they have to wait before they pay out to repair the damage on my vehicle and  for a rental car until everyone has reported and they know the total cost of everything! What should I do my vehicle is damaged and no vehicle to drive?

Filed a claim with the person who is at fault insurance and went to there place of where they do the preliminary estimate.

This sentence lacks a subject.  I assume you intended to write that you "[f]iled a claim."  Correct?

Also, when you refer to the "person who is at fault," I assume you mean the drive whose car rear-ended your car.  Correct?

What should I do my vehicle is damaged and no vehicle to drive?

You'll either have to pay for the repairs yourself (or make a claim against your own collision coverage if you carried such coverage), drive your car without getting the repairs done, or arrange for a rental car or other means of transportation.  Did you really not know that, and is this really what you intended to ask?

What you need to understand is that, assuming liability is not disputed, the insurer's liability is limited by the terms of its policy.  A few states require only $5,000 in property damage coverage, and most states require only $10k-25k in property damage coverage (you didn't identify your state, so I can't give you specifics about what your state requires).  Of course, the driver who rear-ended you may have more than the minimum required coverage.  However, if he/she only had minimum coverage, then its entirely possible that the damage to all four of the other cars will exceed the policy limits.  If that happens, then the insurer won't be able to pay fully for everyone's damages (although the driver will be liable for the full amounts).  Therefore, the insurer will have to wait until it has a good sense of all of the damages before it can commit to paying anything.

Obviously, the way to avoid this is to make a claim against your own collision coverage (if you had such coverage) and let your own insurer pay to repair your car and provide you with a rental car while the repairs are being done (assuming you had rental car coverage).  If you didn't have collision and/or rental car coverage on your own policy, then you now know why having those coverages would have been a good idea.

PG has given you the options. The at-fault driver's claim rep has already indicated that repairs to all the cars will likely exceed the property damage liability limits. The payments will be prorated so I'll give you an example of how that works.

If the liability limit is $10,000 and the damage to three cars is $7000, $5000, and $4000, the total damage is $16,000.

$7000 is about 44% of the total damage so that car gets $4400.

$5000 is about 31% of the total damage so that car gets $3100.

$4000 is about 25% of the total damage so that car gets $2500.

The total payout for all the damaged vehicles is the $10,000 limit.

Not only that you will have to wait weeks or a month or more to get paid and you wouldn't get anything for the rental because there's no more coverage available if the limit is exhausted.

If you have collision coverage make the claim on your own policy and be done with it. You're insurance company will seek reimbursement and once it collect any of the money it will likely refund you your deductible.

I'll assume without knowing that Trina does not have insurance coverage for this accident.  Unfortunately, this situation is why that is evidently a problem and why the roll of the dice decision not to have that coverage may wind up being a bad one.  (While I believe you can deduct the unreimbursed property damage loss on taxes next year, that's likely cold comfort.)

The other guy's insurance company doesn't owe you speedy resolution.  Even when all is (s)well and so is the insurance company, it can take months.  (Also, while it may be true that your unnamed state allows for direct action lawsuits against an insurance company instead of the responsible client, chances are you'd have to sue the client to get a judgment if the insurance company decided to deny a claim.)

×
×